June 23, 2015

Bragging Rights

I don't say this very often because I find blog posts that are written just to say "I LOVE MY PONY" can be a bit hard to read if done too often.

But guys...I LOVE MY HORSE.

When Gem and I came together 5.5 years ago she was a nightmare. I was more of a passenger than a real rider and we just clashed. A lot. I've mentioned some of her bad behaviors in the past and the beginning posts on the blog are a recap of what we went through if anyone cares to read back through. We have both grown a ton in the time we have spent together and while there are always things for both of us to work on, she really has become the most amazing mare.

If anyone would have told me that I would be hooking up the trailer, loading her up, driving an hour away to a brand new to us trail system and riding her solo I would have laughed in their face. Heck, I couldn't even make it a single lap around the arena without a major melt down, hissy fit, nearly being thrown episode. And many times it did end up with me being thrown.

I debated selling her numerous times, but something made me stick with her and man am I glad I did. The reason I did was because I never dreaded riding her. I never felt terrified or like I was going to get extremely hurt and while she has dumped me on purpose just because she could, she was never malicious.

I will write up what happened Tuesday night separately which will explain this post even more, but for now I just want to put it in writing that Gem is an amazing mare, falls and all, and anyone who knew us at the start wouldn't even be able to recognize us now.

It is an amazing feeling.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me smile. I've got a similar story working its way through - as you're well aware!

    Can't wait to hear details.

    ReplyDelete