April 5, 2014

Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice

Ingredients
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 large onion, chopped (I use Vidalia)
  • 1 -8 ounce box of rice, prepared
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 – 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup (regular or fat free)
  • 1 -15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
Instructions
  1. Place chicken in bottom of crockpot.
  2. Scatter chopped onion over top.
  3. Spoon cream soup over top of that.
  4. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
  5. A few minutes before serving, add in cooked rice, corn, and cheese.
  6. Stir to combine, put cover on for 5 minutes.
  7. Serve hot
 ___________________________________________________________________________

This recipe is awesome! Super easy, relatively healthy and W scarfed it down.

This is another Pinterest one. I liked it because W loves chicken, it has rice in it to be filling and we actually rarely cook with corn so it gives W a new veggie to eat.

I am not a fan of the "large" onion. Don't get me wrong I really like onions and Vidalia is my favorite type of onion. But a large onion can mean very different things to people and my large onion was definitely too large. It was way too onion-y. In retrospect, a large onion for only 4 chicken breasts seems excessive anyway. I would recommend cutting it in half or using a small/medium onion instead.

The only other issue I had with it was the timing. I filled the crockpot just as it said to. I turned it on low. 8 hours later and the chicken was still pink inside and a meat thermometer agreed it wasn't done yet. I think it actually took more like 9-10 hours on low to fully cook. Once it was done, the chicken was super tender and pulled apart really, really easily. I pulled the chicken and mixed in the remaining ingredients and cooked for 5 more minutes.

W wasn't too sure of it at first. I think the onion was too strong. He did eat it warm the first day. But then the second day he refused to eat even a single bite. That got him mac n cheese and ritz crackers for lunch at day care. Smart kid :)

But then we tried it cold and he loved it. I didn't like it cold so much, but he ate a ton of it cold.

____________________________________________________________________________

Pros:
Few ingredients = cheap
Super easy to make
Relatively healthy

Cons:
Took way longer to cook than claimed
Too much onion

Give it a try!! I don't think you will be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment