- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, chopped (I use Vidalia)
- 1 -8 ounce box of rice, prepared
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 – 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup (regular or fat free)
- 1 -15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- Place chicken in bottom of crockpot.
- Scatter chopped onion over top.
- Spoon cream soup over top of that.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- A few minutes before serving, add in cooked rice, corn, and cheese.
- Stir to combine, put cover on for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot
This recipe is awesome! Super easy, relatively healthy and W scarfed it down.
This is another Pinterest one. I liked it because W loves chicken, it has rice in it to be filling and we actually rarely cook with corn so it gives W a new veggie to eat.
I am not a fan of the "large" onion. Don't get me wrong I really like onions and Vidalia is my favorite type of onion. But a large onion can mean very different things to people and my large onion was definitely too large. It was way too onion-y. In retrospect, a large onion for only 4 chicken breasts seems excessive anyway. I would recommend cutting it in half or using a small/medium onion instead.
The only other issue I had with it was the timing. I filled the crockpot just as it said to. I turned it on low. 8 hours later and the chicken was still pink inside and a meat thermometer agreed it wasn't done yet. I think it actually took more like 9-10 hours on low to fully cook. Once it was done, the chicken was super tender and pulled apart really, really easily. I pulled the chicken and mixed in the remaining ingredients and cooked for 5 more minutes.
W wasn't too sure of it at first. I think the onion was too strong. He did eat it warm the first day. But then the second day he refused to eat even a single bite. That got him mac n cheese and ritz crackers for lunch at day care. Smart kid :)
But then we tried it cold and he loved it. I didn't like it cold so much, but he ate a ton of it cold.
Few ingredients = cheap
Super easy to make
Took way longer to cook than claimed
Too much onion
Give it a try!! I don't think you will be disappointed.