May 13, 2016

The Aftermath

It was after 4 am by the time I crawled back into my sleeping bag, 25 hours after I had last left it. I laid awake waiting for the feeling of posting to fade until my eyes were too heavy to fight it and I drifted off. The ride meeting would be at 8:30 am, but Wyatt was with me and he never sleeps in past 7. Sure enough at 7 am he was up and so was I.

The next morning
Surprisingly, I felt great when I finally convinced my stiff body to move. My lower back was stiff, but not painful. The balls of my feet were achy. The only place that hurt was across the tops of my shoulders which is always painful after spending hours in the saddle holding back my dragon. Could I get back on and ride some more? If I had to, yes.

We wandered over to breakfast, scarfed down some food and waited for the ride meeting to begin. They started with the LDs, moved to the 55s, the 75s and finally it was our turn. I was barely awake in my chair when they called my name 3rd from the end with a ride time of 18:02. I was elated, but too tired to show much emotion at all.

From there we packed everything up and headed for home by 11 am.

Gemmie looked amazing the next morning. In fact, she looked like she had gained some weight during her ride. I had gotten a starting weight which I no longer remember, something in the 900s, but forgot to get one at the end and by the time the ride meeting was over, the scale was packed away. At 3 am it was more important to get Gem in her pen and fed than getting a weight. Plus the thought never even crossed my mind.

I wish I had gotten a post ride weight on her, but she was looking good afterward. 

When I pulled into the barn and let Gem back out with Pete, he came over to say hello and she squealed and lashed a front leg out at him. She always comes back from a ride with an inflated ego.

Physically I was completely recovered by Wednesday and even felt like doing my normally scheduled run although work took precedence instead. Mentally though I was pretty much in a fog until Thursday. Currently, I feel like i am finally running on all cylinders once again.

Here is the thing though: I'm hooked. I'm out in lala land 90% of the time dreaming of my next 100, wishing I was on her right now tackling the trail. I have a whole other post about the things I learned in 100 miles, but for now all I can say is that I am 100% different than I was a week ago. This may wear off in time, but this accomplishment on this mare who was borderline dangerous 6 years ago and nearly cut her hoof off 10 months ago, has had such an influence on me. Gem is getting the next 4 weeks completely off without any work whatsoever. She gets to rest, relax and eat, eat, eat.

Me? I'm wishing I had another 100 to do this weekend. And the one after that. And the one after that. In fact, if I could just permanently stay in the saddle on the trail for the rest of my life I would be perfectly happy (well, only if Wyatt was along with me). My brain only stops the constant buzz of thoughts, stresses and concerns when I am on my horse and having 23 hours of pure blissful brain silence was simply amazing.

There's nothing 100 miles won't cure


  1. The end of this post made me tear up. I hope to experience this one day. I am so proud of you ang Gem and she looks as awesome post ride as she did before (and probably even better in person!) I have found myself thinking, "It's nothing 100 miles WOULDN'T cure," a few times (since I'm not actually signed up for a 100 yet). A great motto. I love this.

    1. It was simply amazing to just be in the moment for once, tackling the trail and not worrying about anything. Gem continues to amaze me.