December 29, 2016

2017 Goals

2016 was a big failure in regards to planned goals, but it was a complete success in unplanned things...so I'm not really sure what to take from that.

The overriding theme for 2017 is: FOCUS.

Focus on bringing Gem back into my life in a way that is sustainable for family life and self preservation, focus on improving my own skill set, focus on better work/life balance, focus on health, focus on Wyatt (as always this one isn't new), focus on getting ever closer to owning our own farm.


GEMMIE - Life Goals


FOCUS - With Gem it is going to be all about finding the right balance of being with her and not being away from the family too much. Wyatt is at an amazing age and I don't want to miss a single minute with him. He is funny, adventurous and just a blast to be around.

This is likely going to mean less time on the trails and more time riding in circles at home which I am 100% okay with as long as those circles bring new knowledge and new skills for the both of us.



More of this style tack and less endurance tack, I believe. 

1.) Bring her and Pete home.  Move in date for us is 1/15 and we are hoping to bring them home the following weekend. Fencing needs installed and we need to build a shelter for them as there is no barn or tree cover. I have the DIY plans already selected and the materials bought, just need to find time.

2.) Start riding consistently 2 days a week. There is a hay field I can ride in during non cutting times and I plan to use this regularly. Dusty has built me jumps in the past and will be working on some new ones once life settles back down again.

3.) 1-2 long trail rides a month, preferably with friends. I've ridden solo enough to know we can do it and that it is no where near as fun as riding with someone else. It is hard to ride with others though when you need to be on the horse by 7 am to make it home in time for lunch with the kiddo, so we will see.

4.) Make it to 1 lesson a month. If I can find someone who can come to me and deal with not having a true arena then I'd like to do 2 a month, if I have to trailer out it will likely only be once a month.





GEMMIE - Competition goals

1.) Complete a 50 mile endurance ride towards our decade team award.  I'd really like this to be a multi day ride so that I get as much as I can into a single weekend away.

2.) Complete a Ride and Tie of any length

3.) Make a decision on what to do about her 100 mile bronze medal.  She only needs two more 100s and I know she has it in her. The question is do I? If not, could I let someone else ride her even though I'd still have been the one to put all the conditioning miles on, spent all the money for the ride (the entry is the cheapest part of it all: hay, alfalfa, elytes, extra grain, gas to get there, time off work...), and likely need to be present to crew? Seems silly to plop someone else in the saddle to ride it. But....I really hated riding in the dark and I don't know if I want to do it again. Lots of soul searching to do.

 4.) Make it to a dressage show and not make a complete fool out of ourselves.

ME - Life Goals

FOCUS - For me it is going to be all about striking a better balance in life. Currently, I feel guilty when I don't ride and guilty when I do. I haven't taken an actual vacation longer than a long weekend since 2007. I haven't seen a doctor in 4 years.

1.) Stop feeling guilty about self care time. Riding and running not only make me feel better equipped to deal with life's stresses but it also will help me live a longer and better life. I need to stop beating myself up when I take time to do it.

2.) Run 2 days a week minimum. Treadmill or outside, both work as long as I am getting my butt moving.

3.) Ride 2 days a week.

4.) Establish with a primary care doctor and get a physical. 

5.) Figure out just what I want with my relationship with Gem. Is it okay to back off and just putz around? Do I need to have some set competition/training plans to feel satisfied? 

6.) Continue with my pen pals. Add two new ones from new countries. 

7.) Create a smashbook for Wyatt.

8.) Find a trainer that I can work well with in regards to approach, personality and scheduling. 

ME - Competition goals




1.) Complete a half marathon.

2.) Complete a full marathon. 

3)  Host a Ride and Tie. I have one in the works that I am really excited about. 




  

9 comments:

  1. I hope you achieve all of your goals this year. Three cheers to a new happy year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great ambitious goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see if they are too ambitious. Mostly I just want o find a better balance with it all

      Delete
  3. Solid goals! I think the theme of Focus is a good one, and you need to REALLY not feel bad for taking self care time <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guilt is real, but I am trying hard to make it go away.

      Delete
  4. Self-care is very important and I'm happy to see that you recognize that! These goals are great and even if you don't achieve all of them you will have tried!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with all your goals. I'm jealous of you bringing your horses home with you.

    ReplyDelete